Cha cha changes!

Salutations Friends!

Many changes happening here at the Shaffer compound, now located in the fabulously wonderful city of Asheville, NC! I've officially been here for a little over 2 months, networking like a fiend and loving the fact that if I become stranded, I will not die from the subzero temperatures. YAY! Moving across the country and starting from scratch is more disruptive than I had anticipated, but I am too happy to care. 


The biggest metamorphosis is the growth of Kiere Shaffer Graphic Design into Lucid Creative Studios. I obviously do graphic design and collaborate with other creative disciplines, so changing to a studio has been in the works for quite some time. I had just been waiting until I had moved out of North Dakota to officially re-launch. Being a freelancer for a handful of years now, I have learned to wear many hats, and Kiere Shaffer Graphic Design had become a bit confining. I also had been teaming up with other people on more and more projects so Kiere Shaffer Graphic Design wasn't cutting it. Studios implies more than just me, and it is more than just me. Right now, Lucid is made up of myself and Uzi Ernst, but we have plans to add more people in various disciplines as we grow.

lucid logo

Unfortunately, I haven't been vacationing my time away since getting to Asheville. I have been working on getting everything ready before the launch of Lucid, including some swanky new business cards with all my updated info. I would love to give you one! They are something that you have to see in person to really appreciate.

2 rounded corners on silk laminated paper with a spot uv

shot of the spot uv including a blind spot
Back in December, Mousey threw a music video release party and I assisted with the invites. The invites were to be sent to key individuals in Minneapolis, so a small number was needed but with a big impact. Doing a small run always cuts out on fun things like embossing, specialty paper, and foil, but I came up with a DIY creative solution while keeping the wow factor up and the costs down. Since we were doing a small run, I was able to order the specialty neon paper in a sample quantity instead of 250 sheets, did the printing and cutting myself. After I did my part, they were mailed off to Mousey for the finishing touches. I had ordered Mousey an extra large custom rubber stamp of her logo so she could do a heat emboss on the front of the post card invite. She also had custom postage stamps made with her image per my request. 
Invite layout sans address and custom postage stamp

embossing detail
The biggest Mousey news is her new website, which uses EP design elements done by moi.  Mousey has quite a few things in the works which make good use of my skills. The next thing being another soiree in Minneapolis. I am creating invites that are going to be in a sexy transparent envelope and we will also be using the Mousey stamp for embossing the invites as well. Also looking into having a limited run of screen printed posters for the event which will feature other local Minneapolis artists and a dance party. Stay tuned for more info or just check in at Mousey's website for more information!

Since moving, I often get the question, "Why Asheville?" Well, I don't mean to be biased, but Asheville is a pretty great town. There is a thriving art and music scene with delicious restaurants, all while being surrounded by the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains. You don't have to take my word for it; the Huffington Post did a piece on 5 things to love about Asheville. Unfortunately, I am not just here for the food, wine, art, and outdoors but the thriving entrepreneurial sector. Here is a piece on how the city has efforts on supporting and attracting entrepreneurs (like myself). In Asheville, the artistic sector has a voice and A place at the table during the annual artistic summit where issues and concerns about the local artistic economy are tackled. I'm truly excited to be in a place that is not just standing by, but trying to foster growth!

Much more to come!
Xx
Kiere

No comments:

Post a Comment