Falling into fall... ok winter

Fall is gone and winter is here. Looking on the brighter side of things, global warming is making North Dakota winters more tolerable. The past few months have breezed by; I couldn't bring myself to write with any available free time I may have had. Lucky for you and for me, it is a cold and gloomy day, so why not spread some cheer?! Enough about the weather and on to what I have been creating!

The fabulous Mousey McGlynn has been busting her butt making new music videos and we worked together to create a multi use sticker with two purposes in mind. Due to extenuating circumstances, the EP had to be taken out of its shrink wrap which leads to the problem of the cd falling out of jacket. Solution? Make an awesome sticker that keeps it sealed and also used as giveaways and for gorilla marketing tactics. Why merely create a basic sticker instead of a flashy foil sticker?! I worked using elements of the original design so it would work on the EP and look awesome standing alone.

Instead of doing a foil die which can end up being quite costly, I opted to try a new technique that puts a layer of metallic down, over which CMYK colors are put over to create colored foil. With this method, the range of colors and patterns are endless versus a one color foil. However, unexpected results can occur due to the color shift with the addition of foil, since the colors are semi opaque versus white paper. If used correctly, you can still get the envisioned look . 


Sticker on its own
On the EP

I also was brought in on a new restaurant which opened in the FM area called The Beefsteak Club. Things were not going as planned, and was brought on to help with decor/design/branding. I was brought in three weeks before they wanted to open. Certain things which they needed had a production time of six to eight weeks. Obviously, it was a rush to the end. Fortunately, The Beefsteak Club did open on time with up-cycled menu books, buting time until the actual menu got through production. The logo that they had did not match where the restaurant was going, so basically I did a re-brand before they had even opened their doors. The previous design was circle shaped, so I worked within that constraint in order to save money on expensive signage materials.
logo for use on existing signage
Logo

Silk business card with spot uv
Soft opening invite on iridescent paper
Invite back
Ad

In a previous post, I had mentioned that there were many changes in the works. The biggest change is the relocation of my life and base of operations from Fargo, ND to Asheville, NC. This move hasn't come out of the blue; it has been in the works for quite a while and was solidified when my husband and I visited the city back in October. It was everything we had thought it would be. The relocation has been the main reason for my gap in posts. I have been letting my current clients know, tying up loose ends, and didn't want to write about it until everyone had been contacted. I plan to keep working with my current clients remotely, since the majority of my work is done that way already. Instead of meeting in person, it will be through skype. After getting my feet wet in Asheville, we will see what Kiere Shaffer Graphic Design turns into. I have big plans, but more on that later.

Much more to come in the new year!

Happy holidays! 
Xx
Kiere



No comments:

Post a Comment