Hip-Happenings

Greetings friends!

Labor Day whaat?! I started writing many a blog since my last post but kept starting over because so many things had evolved that it was just easier to start over, but I am committing and will finish this post and everyone (mainly me) will rejoice! 

I myself have been on a bit of an overload and don't really know where to begin. As a freelancer, there are times when you are concerned about not having enough work to cover bills and then other times there is no end to work in sight. It is just the ebb and flow of a freelancer's work. Dealing with the stress can be taxing but I have working on my meditation practice and it really helps with my stress and anxiety levels. Making time to practice is the hardest thing for me but I am making an effort!

As far as projects go the Drunken Noodle drink menu in East Grand Forks was updated and that gave me the opportunity to give it a refresh. The most notable being the design of the cover. The first drink menu was designed before I had the physical menu books so I had to guess how the cover would look with frosted plastic. So there were some elements that could have been better executed as far as the design of the cover went.
Cover with the frosted acrylic
Cover opened
A friend of mine that makes jewelry under the name Must Love Beads approached me to help her make a promotional brochure using photos that had been taken of her pieces. The brochure would be featured with her jewelry where it was being retailed, given with pieces sold, and friends. I used a grid pattern for the photos since jewelry styles are always changing to reflect the current fashions. By using the grid the color can be changed for the season and pictures can easily be swapped out to reflect her most current work. A modular brochure if you will, clever and cost effective I know! She is having a back to school show if you are in the Fargo area she would love the honor of your attendance!


Front and back of the brochure
Inside spreads
I also have been doing some promoting of myself as well, as previously mentioned I am working on my networking, and visibility. It is really easy working from home to be out of sight out of and out of potential clients minds. The Downtown Community Partnership is an origination that helps to beef up the downtown community, myself being a downtown resident and having many clients that are downtown felt that this group is something I could get behind. They are currently working towards a business improvement district (BID) to benefit downtown Fargo as a whole, as well has hosting many other events in downtown Fargo. They host a downtown meet and greet every couple of months. Harry (my partner in work and life) and I have been attending and it is really nice way to get to know the people of downtown. We have also agreed to be part of a design committee for the downtown.

I also had an interview for a publication on space saving solutions for small businesses that are home based. Since Harry and I both work from our apartment, I was an ideal candidate for the piece. I don't know the publication info yet but stayed tuned. Here are some photos I sent along for the piece of our "office spaces" 

view of my office from the living room
me in said office
Harry working hard in his office
other half of his office
I have many other projects in the works, but will wait until I can photograph the finished product. The first is a neon metallic sticker for Mousey's EP packaging and promotions, and the second is yet another new restaurant opening in the very near future. Exciting things! 

Speak soon!
Xx
Kiere

No comments:

Post a Comment