Lessons Learned!

This past week has been a headache.

First, I would like to say I HATE doing things last minute. Hate is a very strong word, but it accurately describes my feelings on the matter. The main reasons I hate to rush a project is: my other projects (who came to me before hand) get put on hold, the lack of time and attention the project deserves, the stress that comes along with it, and the frustration of getting production done on short notice (without seeing final proofs).

Unfortunately, for me once a work is out there, it doesn't really matter what the excuses were. It doesn't matter if you didn't have enough time or if the client was an idiot. The only thing that counts is what I designed, and whether it's good or bad. I am realizing this in hindsight, so the best I can do is not repeat it. A common engineering phrase is: fast, cheap, or good pick any TWO. literally words to live by.

I am very much an internal thinker, once a I have a project I like to let it germinate. There is a certain amount of intuitive thinking that goes into everything I do. This is hard for some people to wrap their heads around. I am always conscious of the project no matter what I am doing, while always subconsciously looking for a solution. When my clients ask me to help them find a solution for something I often tell them I will think about it and get back to them with ideas/solutions and I do.

After this past week I am now going to make some huge changes in how I run things. Contracts for one, I have said this before as well as heard it from my professors, always write up a contract. It not only protects yourself but outlines what results your client will be receiving. I also am going to be setting minimum time tables for different projects. So when I get asked to do last min jobs I can say I need a minimum of x amount of business days to complete after I have all the information and that doesn't include production. If they don't have x amount of time I will have to turn it down no matter how much I would like to have the extra cash flow. It just isn't worth it for me or the client. I also am going to map out the time needed for a project and price accordingly. I often keep track of my hours but I often forget to write them down when I have a flash of genus and don't look at the time I started working. I need too do this because I don't have my student loans to fall back on in fact very soon I will start the burden of paying those bastards back. booooo.

Now, that I am buckling down and trying to make something of myself, I can't cut corners. I've been reading some informative books and taking notes. There are many books on the subject of design but one of my favorites that I am currently reading is How To Think Like A Great Graphic Designer (gifted to me by my BFF Christina Tapper thanks lady :) , which is interviews from design greats on design and how they work very inspiring and informative. The other two which I have been putting off but have had, are Business and Legal Forms for Graphic Designers and Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines I have started reading both but not really my cup of tea but, both important for anyone trying to make a living in design. They also have different versions for other professions(maybe yours). Am I the only one who thinks it is weird I didn't learn this stuff in school?

So no pictures this time, I have more progress on Mousey logo but nothing in the computer yet and I am helping Little Bangkok with their menu redesign.  I also have been keeping up with working out and eating healthier, and obviously writing new blogs.. go me! Hope everyone is able to stick with their resolutions as well.

Stay warm people!
Xx Kiere

2 comments:

  1. Sounds rough, I'm like you in the sense that I prefer to let an idea simmer instead of trying rush it. Last minute projects are unfortunate fact of life and hopefully we won't be getting them too often throughout our careers.

    I just picked up the GAG Pricing and Ethical Guidelines book myself and I can't believe the size of it. It made me realize that I have a lot to learn about the business process of graphic design. We sort of touched on some of the stuff in this book in BFA seminar, but I think the importance of this information warrants an entire semester's worth of in-depth study. It should really be included in the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, good to hear from you!

    If only it had just been a last minute project. The copy I received wasn't proofed which snowballed into multiple files needing editing since copy was used in more then one file. Unfortunately the copy editing was done over the phone so needless to say things were missed brochures needed to be re-printed and on even more short notice (on a Saturday). I have yet to bill the client and I have a bad feeling there is going to be some sticker shock.

    It is really sad how much we payed for school and still did not learn everything that was necessary for us to go out on our own confidently. But we sure know a lot about art history...

    ReplyDelete